Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, August 6, 2010

Family and Oregon....what could be better?

Tomorrow I fly to Oregon. I am attending a family reunion on my mother's side. These are fun people with free spirits. About four years ago we had a family reunion on an island in Arizona. "Not possible," you say. I have pictures. How many of you can claim that there was belly dancing at your last family reunion? Well, I can. Needless to say, I am looking forward to time with this wonderfully creative and spirit-filled family. I usually end up feeling a bit predictable and dull but it gives me lots of fodder for storytelling. Plus, I crave being with this side of my family because, now that my mother is deceased, these are the people who truly remember her. They understand what a deep wit she had and just how bright she truly was. Being with them connects me to my mother.

I am in charge of the opening get acquainted games. There will only be about 25 of us, but some of us come from as far away as Canberra, Australia. A couple of the people coming I have not met before. My grandparents taught their children to be independent and to travel the world. Those qualities have lived on in their grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I am going a day early so that I can attend a church in Portland. With help I found the Ainsworth UCC church. It looks wonderfully progressive and vibrant. I will soon know.


No comments:

Post a Comment