Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, August 27, 2010

Saturated with Beauty



Brett and I have almost become overly saturated in beauty. Our minds can't seem to take in any more wonders. Yesterday we drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park on Trail Ridge road. It has spectacular vistas but Brett slept through a major part of it. When he woke up he asked if we could ever get to our hotel before bedtime. We pulled into the Holiday Inn Express in Green River, Utah after 9 p.m.





We started our day early this morning dropped down to Capitol Reef National Park. I have wanted to see petroglyphs and today I got my wish.
They were amazing....except that modern day park guests had added their own petroglyphs to the same rock formation.


















We ate sandwiches in the car and rushed to Bryce National Park. It was raining when we arrived. I have a hard time walking down hill because of my knees. So I hiked up to a couple incredible viewpoints and then I walked back down by putting both my hands on Brett's shoulders and following him back down. What a fabulous son! He doesn't even seem embarrassed by me. There are so many things I have seen on this trip that I couldn't have managed without his help and patience.

Two National Parks in one day didn't seem like enough so we headed off for Zion. We came in from the east on Highway 9 along a most fabulous scenic byway. A herd of big horn sheep walked in front of our
car shortly before we drove through a mile long tunnel. We are staying in a beautiful hotel with views of Zion surrounding us and we arrived before dinnertime! We ate at the Whiptail Grill, suggested by the Meeks. My sesame encrusted ginger tofu was the best meal I have had on this whole trip.

Zion is a great hiking location. Tomorrow we are hoping to find a trail I can handle and yet still reeks of the beauty of this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment