Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, August 13, 2010

Brett's 20th Birthday

Today is Brett's birthday. On Friday the 13th he turned 20. Brett reminded Bryan today that he is no longer a teenager.

We had a good day. We got up slow, went to Walter's Restaurant for breakfast and then took off for the beach. We went to Huntington and parked our beach chairs near the pier. It was a perfect day. It was warm but there was a steady cool breeze. We read, slept and felt the ocean spray on our faces. Our plan was to leave in time to drive to Laguna Beach to see a movie there. We love that little theatre on Pacific Coast Highway. There is nothing special about the theatre, except that when you go outside after the movie you get to see the sunset over the ocean. But we left too late and when it became obvious we weren't going to make our movie we just came home.

Brett made his own cake. He wanted to bake it. I didn't argue. It was a pink cake with pink frosting and it said BRETT IS 20 across the top. I turn 50 in October and my youngest child just turned 20. When my children were little many people said to me, "Enjoy them while you can. They grow up so fast." When they were little it didn't seem like they were growing up that fast. But now I get it. My youngest child leaves next month for a year in England. It will be his senior year of college. Matt is hoping to leave next month for a year in Korea.

I worked pretty hard at raising my children to be independent adventurers. Now they are heading off.....independent and adventurous. I want to say, "Not that independent. Not that adventurous." This process of watching your children grow up is a bittersweet task.

No comments:

Post a Comment