Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

A Brethren Fourth of July

I had to be reminded several times today that it was the Fourth of July.  There were subtle reminders.  The staff at Camp Pine Lake served us cheesecake with blueberries, cherries and whipped cream.  As we sat outdoors in the evening for a concert we could hear fireworks in the distance. But for the most part I was happily oblivious to the traditions that are deemed as patriotic in most cities on the Fourth of July. 

The day started with a thunderstorm and pouring rain.  I am so enamored by rain since it happens so seldom in Southern California and when it does it is more often than not just a misting.  People whipped out their umbrellas and raincoats and the morning gathering got moved inside.  Barbara West, Rhonda and Greg Baker and Chris Good were in charge.  It was masterful.  I found myself just sitting and smiling through the whole experience.  I love being here.  I love these people.  I love the community that exists in this moveable event.  I love how amazingly gifted people are and what shines forth when the rules are removed. How blessed I am to begin my retirement at Fest.  

I led a morning workshop called "Revisiting the Good Samaritan."  It was based on reading Amy-Jill Levine's book Short Stories of Jesus.  I didn't feel that good about it but was glad for the 10 people who honored me with their presence.  

The day was brutally hot with the humidity close to 90%.  It seemed to be the only conversation I was capable of having. "Boy, it's hot," I said to anyone who came anywhere close to me. I spent much of the afternoon in my air-conditioned cabin working on memorizing my story for the next day.  I can only memorize one story at a time.  I can't have more than one story live in my body at a time.

As I mentioned previously, campfire begins with children telling jokes.  People who are not the designated storytellers or musicians sign up to offer something at campfire.  Someone led us in a song her dad taught her.  Another person told us the story of her adventure in Germany.  Three young adults sang a song together accompanied by ukelele and tongue drum.  Peg Lehman and Mike Stern were the designated musicians for the evening.  

Jonathan Hunter was the storyteller for the evening.  I am a huge fan of Jonathan's stories.  He has a series of stories he has written about a woman named Erlene who was saved from the streets of Hollywood by a mechanic named Fred and they live in a mobile home in Gorman.  He told an Erlene and Fred story.  I love listening to Jonathan's stories and I love talking with him about the art of creating stories.  I told him that maybe we should do a Netflix series called Storytellers at Fest Drinking Coffee like Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.  I'm sure there would be a big audience for it.

After campfire we had an evening concert with Jenny and Jeffrey.  I love their music and their obvious love and joy in each other.  Jenny plays an accordion she calls Delores and Jeff plays the guitar.  They did some old gospel songs, John Mayer, etc.  They say that their style of music is "Songs We Love to Sing."  It was so brutally hot and humid that they were wet with perspiration and their glasses kept fogging over.  Bless them for sharing their music in the heat.

I fell asleep in my cabin with a smile on my face.  I love Fest.













No comments:

Post a Comment