Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, July 18, 2022

Fulton, Missouri

I'm in Fulton, Missouri.  I'm not quite sure why I picked it as my stopover from Indiana to Kansas.  After I checked into my mediocre motel I had concluded I would never stop here again. I ordered a Fajita Salad from Tacos and Tequilas.  When I drove over to pick up my salad I learned what a lovely place Fulton is.  It is the home to two college/universities.  I drove past William Woods University first.  It has some very interesting degree offerings:  equestrian studies, a four year American Sign language degree, cybersecurity and juvenile justice.  

Then I drove past Westminster College.  What a beautiful campus.  It houses the National Churchill Museum, which seemed strange to me.  It occurred because a former president managed to get President Truman to visit and to invite Churchill to come and speak.  Churchill accepted and gave a speech called "Sinews of Peace."  

The Church of St. Mary the Virgin,  Aldermanbury was originally built in London in the 12th century.  It was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1966.  Christopher Wren rebuilt it in 1677 and was then gutted by the Blitz in 1940.  A former president of Westminster College had the idea of having it sent stone by stone to Fulton and reassembled on the college campus.  It now houses the National Churchill Museum.  It is stunning.  


There is also a sculpture on the campus created out of eight sections of the Berlin wall.  It was done by one of Churchill's granddaughters and she calls it "Breakthrough." I have changed my initial opinion of Fulton, MO.  I am glad I decided to go off the beaten path and stay here.

It was on my schedule for today to stop at the Blue Owl Bakery in Kimmswick, MO for a slice of the pie that Food and Wine declared the best pie in Missouri.  It is the Levee High Caramel Pecan Pie.  Here is the link to it if you want to see why I would lust over a slice of this pie:  https://www.goldbelly.com/blue-owl-bakery/levee-high-caramel-pecan-apple-pie?irclickid=3G%3A0jbyndxyITeX2IqWvR2yDUkD1cz13PVU2100&utm_source=impact&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Time%20Inc.&utm_term=249354&utm_content=&irgwc=1

The bad news is that the Blue Owl Bakery is closed on Mondays.  So I got to my motel early enough to do some laundry.  I would rather have had the pie.

I head to McPherson tomorrow, hopefully with a stop to get my air conditioner recharged.  The forecast for McPherson tomorrow is 106 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment