Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

In Pursuit of Pie

I got on the road fairly quickly today.   I thought I needed to recharge my air conditioner but the Jiffy Lube employee in Fulton, MO told me that their "air conditioner machine" had broken a long time ago.  I was pretty sure that wasn't the technical term for it and was kind of glad to move on.  Plus, my air conditioner worked beautifully today and it was 106 degrees.  My previous problem was probably just a user error.

I didn't take the I-70 in Missouri (which Apple maps calls misery).  I drove parallel to it because I find my journey way more interesting when I stay off the interstate.  I made a stop in Jefferson City, to see the capitol building of Missouri.  I can remember trips with my parents in which my mother often included capitol buildings.  I parked in front of the Catholic parish next door.  It had a closed sign and a sign announcing "No Confessions Today".

I walked around the capitol building.

Then I got back on the road.  I especially loved this water tower I drove past.

I took a slight detour to the Warrensburg Church of the Brethren just to see what it looks like.  They must have been running some kind of program because there were lots of cars in the parking lot. They have a solar array.  I loved that their sign didn't have a quote from the Old Testament like just about every other church sign I happened upon in Missouri.

I got to thinking that I didn't remember where to find the best pie in Kansas.  Perhaps I would be going close to it today. So I stopped and did a bit of research.  Food and Wine lists two places in Kansas.  The one in Overland Park is closed on Tuesdays.  The one in Dover, Kansas was definitely not on my way but hey, why not?  I headed for Dover for the Somerset Cafe.  It closes at 2 p.m. so I had to stay focused.  I made it.  Dover, Kansas seems to be a stop sign.  It has a cafe and an old gas station that is now an antique store.  There was a large sign on the old gas station about the Kansas election on August 2nd to change the state constitution about the right to abortion.  I have seen these signs everywhere in Kansas.  I have only seen one sign that invited people to vote no.

I parked and went into the cafe.  

It was obvious I was not a local.  I sat at the bar and said I wanted to order lunch and pie.  I told them I had driven out of my way to come get pie since they are listed as the best pie in Kansas according to Food and Wine magazine.  She said she had never heard of Food and Wine.  She was unimpressed by the accolades.  Then she said, "I probably have never heard of it because we are not winos here."  A former owner, Norma Grubbs, was awarded the distinction of best pie in America by Good Morning America for her coconut cream pie.  I ordered a piece of the peach pie to go.

I made it to my destination of McPherson, Kansas by late afternoon.  I lived here when I was two until I was five.  At first we lived in the basement of the McPherson College president's house.  My grandfather was the president and my family had come home from the mission field when my father became quite ill.  We were poor as church mice and my father was too fragile for work for about a year.  My mother got a job teaching and my siblings were in school.  My dad took care of me during the days.  I can remember shaving with him every morning.  I had a razor without a blade in it. 

The president's house is directly across the street from a large city park with great play equipment.  When I lived in the basement of this house, we had just returned from Nigeria and I had no preparation for integration into American culture.  I often stripped off all my clothing and went over to the park to play.  I had lived in a culture where women had different rules about nakedness.  Once I was even brought back home by the police.  When people in McPherson say they know a story about me I often preempt their storytelling with, "Am I naked in this story?"  Nine times out of ten that is where the story is headed.  I went over to the park to eat my peach pie by the lake.  I parked at the wildlife viewing area.  Immediately a large goose headed for me.  She wanted a bite.  She chased me all the way back into my car.

I ate my peach pie in my car.  It was a delicious piece of pie.  If you ever find yourself in Dover (which  you won't) be sure and get a slice of pie.

I went by the McPherson Church of the Brethren.  I have vivid memories of sitting in the balcony of this church as a child.  Both of my parents' memorial services (as well as my grandmother's) were held in this sanctuary.

I headed over to the cemetery.  I have not been to McPherson since my dad's memorial service.  I had not seen the gravestone with his name added.

I drove around McPherson College.

I found the dormitory that is named for my grandfather.

Then I headed over to the home of my friends, Doug and Wylene.  I have known Doug since I was a young child.  Our parents were friends.  Doug made a delicious shrimp dinner and we caught up.  I hadn't gotten to spend time with them for years.  Retirement is allowing me to connect with friends, old and new.


No comments:

Post a Comment