Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

There is some Kansas girl in me

I enjoyed an early morning walk through Doug and Wylene's garden this morning.  While I was in McPherson I learned there was a rumor that my sister carries a gun in her purse to church.  I couldn't wait to ask her if she has been packing.  (I already knew the answer but it reminded me of the way stories get passed around a small town.)

I met someone for coffee and then I headed towards my sister Gayle's house.  I stopped in Newton, Kansas to grab lunch -- a chicken salad sandwich.  I wonder why I love them so much.  I grabbed some groceries for my cooler.  

When I got to Gayle's house I asked her if she carries a gun to church.  She hasn't stopped laughing about it.  She will be working on something and all of a sudden she will say, "Gayle goes to church with a gun in her purse" and then she starts laughing again.  Or she will call out, "Gayle doesn't even own a gun."

I spent the afternoon rethinking and repacking everything. I have been on this trip for three weeks now and my suitcase and my car show the disorganization that has ensued.  My sister and her husband live on a 250 acre farm -- mostly pasture.  They have a pond and a river runs through 60 acres of woods. They have 40 head of elk.  They raise them for the antlers.  

I took a little walk in the heat.  The elk were taking an afternoon dip in the pond. 

My brother-in-law had trimmed some trees earlier this week.  He put the grappling hook on his tractor and went and cleaned up the branches. 


They have a house with around 3,000 square feet they built themselves.  


For years they have wanted to create a one-of-kind ceiling of wood and stained glass in their octagon room.  They finally came to clarity about how they wanted to create it.  All the wood comes from their farm. They have been working on it for a year now and may finish it in 2022.


My brother-in-law made elk burgers for dinner.  I had mentioned that I would love to have some sweet corn while I was here (hint, hint).  I got my wish.  :)  My nephew, Josh joined us for dinner.  I haven't seen him since 2014.  I love conversations with Josh.  He is wicked smart, competitive and charming.  I tried to capture a photo of him with Gayle and Don's dog (Buddy) who weighs 130 pounds.

It was hot as hell in Kansas today.  I had asked her if I could practice driving their UTV (they have two of them that are currently running).  We are renting a UTV in Montana and I would like to know what I'm doing before we rent one.  Gayle, Buddy and I went for a ride.

We picked wild blackberries and Gayle fed them to Buddy.

We went into one of their pastures and watched the sunset.  We don't have beautiful sunsets in California because we don't have clouds very often.  I love Kansas sunsets.

Don has hung some tree trunks complete with elk skulls and antlers in a tree.  Why?  Because.

We drove down to the river and I told Gayle she had to take over the driving. I was too intimidated.

I do feel more sure of myself around a UTV.  I can't wait to explore Montana in one. We sat and talked until it was dark.  

I think of myself as a California girl through and through but a piece of land, a UTV, a sunset and family sure is nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment