Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Friday Gray Day

This is the final full day of Fest.  It was raining when we got up.  I am glad for the cooler weather.  Because Covid has made an appearance here people really want to be outside.  Being under the big tent is really quite lovely.  We had Morning Gathering outside.  Kathy Guistewite led us in a dyad activity.  I was paired with Sara Davis and we were supposed to do a sewing activity while discussing what helps us heal.  I enjoyed it.

I went to Barbara West's workshop Writing Through the Back Door of Your Mind.  It was delightful and silly and helped me think about a new way to approach writing.  We sat in the chapel, which is really a pavilion.  It meant we stayed dry while we saw the beauty of nature.

The meals here have been excellent.  All meals have multiple choices for everyone.  It doesn't matter if you need gluten free, vegan or carnivore food.  Everything is marked and delicious.  After every meal I go to the kitchen to share my respect and compliments.  The Director of this camp calls me The Encourager.  They really are amazing here.  I am not exaggerating.

I spent the afternoon writing Thank You cards and memorizing my story for tomorrow's closing gathering.  I also went to my cabin to organize my very disorganized corner and bunk.  One of my cabin mates came in and said she was taking a Covid test because she felt wonky.  She tested negative.  Yay!

For evening campfire the children shared the Talent Show they had created.  Elizabeth, who is 6 going on 33, told the story of Jack and the Meanstalk and the Moaner.  I thought it might last all night but I couldn't stop laughing.  I think she will be running Song and Story Fest as soon as next year.  Another girl danced while her father played the djembe.  

Several people participated with music.  Jonathan Hunter told the third episode in his Fred and Erlene stories.  They now have a go-cart racing daughter and live in Buttonwillow.  

The evening concert was Mike Stern and friends.  Mike is an includer so many, many musicians played together.  Kathy signed many of the songs.  It was beautiful.  People didn't want it to end.  

I finally had to leave and drag my tired butt to bed.  I'm glad it is my last night to sleep on a bunk in a cabin but I will miss this community very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment