Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Tragedy in Big Springs

I left Parachute, CO this morning for Kearney, NE.  I just wanted to get there as fast as possible.  Last night I decided I did want to make one stop. I stayed up last night reading Anyone But Duane.  It is about a man who, the week after he graduated from college in 1965, robbed a bank in Big Springs, NE.  He killed three people and left another person paralyzed. I am reading the book because my father was Duane Pope's religion professor in college.  My grandfather was the president of the college.  Everyone who knew Duane was so shocked by what he did.  They had experienced him as an exemplary student and human being.  The FBI asked my grandfather to go on national radio and ask Duane to turn himself in and Duane listened to him.  He is now serving a life sentence at the Nebraska State Penitentiary. 

Before I fell asleep last night I looked up how close I would be to Big Springs, NE on my drive today.  I felt so sad for the tragedy that had happened in this little town.  Big Springs was right on my way.  My plan was to stop there and find a city park where I could eat my tuna salad sandwich. The population of Big Springs is 400.  What I found is that there isn't much there there. I only saw one person...a man in an electric wheelchair who found my little picnic very fascinating. 

I made it to Kearney by 6 p.m., did a load of laundry and took the required rapid test to  be able to attend Song and Story Fest.  I tested negative.  :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment