Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Journey Down Memory Lane

I left my cousin's home today and headed down to have lunch with friends who live on Lake Waubee, next to the Church of the Brethren's Camp Mack.  This is where my children went to church camp and where I lead Women's Camps; took our youth for weekend camp experiences; and baptized new members every August by dunking them in Lake Waubee.

I had the most delightful lunch with friends on their porch looking out over the lake.  There are certain people who, even if you haven't seen them for a long time, when you get together again you feel like you start from where you left off rather than having to start all over again.  I was so grateful for time with them.

I am staying for three nights outside of N. Manchester, IN with my friends Jim and Kay.  They should win awards for gracious hospitality.  I felt instantly at home with them.  We chatted for a few minutes before we headed down to the Wabash Church of the Brethren.  Kay was hosting a district event.  People came for dinner and then to watch the Tuesday evening worship of Annual Conference.  The preacher tonight was Anna Lisa Gross. She and Kay share a full time Interim District Executive position. 

I got to catch up with some former parishioners of mine from my Manchester days.  Dinner was catered with food from Bob Evans, a reminder of Midwestern food I enjoyed for 14 years.  I haven't been tuning into worship at Annual Conference so it was good to make the connection.  Anna Lisa was a member of the youth group when I was the pastor at Manchester CoB.  

Every trip back to N. Manchester drips in nostalgia for me.  This is where my children went to nursery school and elementary school.  It where I watched them play T-ball and do creative movement.  This is where Bryan and I did most of our child rearing. We bought our first home in N. Manchester and made life long friends.  In this town almost everyone knows everyone else.  People know what kind of chips you buy at the grocery store and comment if they think you eat out too often.  Your doctor also sits next to you on Sunday mornings at church.  There are parts of it that I truly miss but right now I find more peace in the anonymity I enjoy by living in LA County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment