Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, July 14, 2022

Restocking and Repacking

I was glad for this day of getting ready for the rest of my trip.  I got up to the smell of freshly baked scones.  Both Kay and Jim are good cooks and I have been the beneficiary.  I started my laundry and realized there was gum on my J.Jill white crops.  I spent a good half hour trying to freeze the gum on my pants and then scrape it off with a credit card.  I didn't have any hope it would work.

I left for Fort Wayne.  I need to get my oil changed before I go much further.  I found a place that promises to change your oil in 5 minutes while you stay in your car.  Sold.  Five minutes later I was driving out and noticed that there was a car wash next door.  Fabulous.  

I looked up to see if there was a J.Jill in Ft. Wayne and there was one less than a mile away.  New white crops in my size purchased I looked for a place I could eat a chicken salad sandwich.  When I lived in N. Manchester, chicken salad sandwiches seemed to be a staple of almost every restaurant.  I love chicken salad sandwiches.  I was dismayed to find that very few places in So Cal serve them.  They must be a Midwestern thing.  I found a deli where I could sit outside and enjoy a chicken salad sandwich.  It fascinates me what I crave when I visit Indiana.   I went to Trader Joe's and restocked my snack basket and then took a Zoom call in my car, where I had some reception.

When I got back to Kay and Jim's house, Jim was making a tofu shepherd's pie and an apple cobbler for dinner.  I love sitting at their dining room table while looking out at the birds and the green everywhere as I eat delicious food and have equally delicious conversation.  I am so blessed with friendship.

We watched Nomadland (one of my favorite movies) together and ate popcorn.  Then we had a conversation about home and grief and economic inequality and the need for everyone to be able to live their own lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment